I quit!

Monday, September 28, 2009

...my job, at least.

I've got two weeks at my current employment and then I'm taking flight, literally.

I can't wait to quit. Much as I like the people I work with - most of them, anyway - I've had about enough of the company itself. There have been some interesting reactions.

Overwhelmingly, the people I have told have been glad for me. Two have said they'll be sad to see me go, but just about everyone else is making the best of a bad job in a company they aren't particularly happy to be working for. The reason they're staying? Again, overwhelmingly, it's because there's nothing better to go to.

This is actually a little sad. There are some nice, talented people at the place where I work and some of them deserve a bit better (or a lot better) than they're getting. I suppose it all depends on what they are willing to risk in order to better themselves, and what the price for failure might be. For a lot of my colleagues, the price of failure would be too high, and that's to be regretted. I hope things improve for them and opportunities arise for them to leave too.

6 comments:

Lucy McGough September 29, 2009 at 3:50 AM  

I hope your next job is more interesting.

danagg - sounds like a type of whisky to me.

mand September 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

When we moved in 2000, my two (geographically n friendlily) closest friends said:

J: Oh no! I'll miss you!
M: Oh good! An excuse to visit Wiltshire!

Funniest was when i left my last full-time job; someone (ok, someone who didn't see me every day) asked what job i was going on to. I was 7 months pregnant* with my first child. 'A much more responsible position than this!'

* Complete with the flowery dungarees... remember them?

I can't commiserate with you leaving your beloved colleagues, as i'm looking forward to you being several hundred miles nearer than you have been. :0)

undyside: The side you wear your undies on, of course. In cases of low (or, for males below a certain age, normal) hygiene habits, inside-out.

David Webb September 29, 2009 at 9:07 PM  

Lucy - yeah, me too. Tell you what, though, if it isn't I'm trying my hand at freelance writing. Or voice acting. Or something. Anything.

Mandy! - several thousand miles closer. Can't imagine why you'd be happy about this, but it's nice that you are. At some point I hope to bring several people together for a meal and some beverages. I'd hope to see you on the guest list. We can bore people senseless about Xerox and the old D&D games that Duncan ran.

mand September 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM  

Well, the invitee list is your choice! Looking forward to it. Not sure i need reminiscing practice but definitely will cope. ;0)

Hundred, thousand, all a bit scientific for this week.

crane: I'm not doing this one. Ha.

Anonymous September 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM  

Wow! Leaving the 'ole Pru. It feels good, eh? I don't really miss it much. I do miss being employed, but not there. I am excited for you to return to England. And a little jealous. I did stop off there for a few days on my way back to the states, and it was HEAVEN. A little cold for me, but lovely. If I'm ever in the neighborhood I'll have to stop by:-).

David Webb October 1, 2009 at 5:51 AM  

Risa - you have an open invitation to do exactly that.

Mostly because it's a wonderful excuse to do specific things - like catch a play at the Globe, for example - which I intend to be doing anyway but are much better when you can justify them by taking a guest.

Just so you know...

I don't know what this bit is for. Perhaps I should give it a purpose?

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP