Battlestar Galactica - worth the wait?

Monday, January 19, 2009

It's been so long since the last episode that I had almost forgotten what BSG was like.

Luckily, within fifteen minutes the show put me firmly back on my BSG-feet.

It is dirge. There is no hope, no light, no joy and no cause for optimism in this entire series. Everything is broken.

The reason I still watch is, of course, that it's really really well done. Compelling, in fact. I could wax lyrical about the cast, but it's best to say that the cast are superb. I don't think I could have stood the mood of the series this long unless the people doing the acting were something special, and they are. Even Jamie Bamber, sometimes critiqued for being a bit wooden and for Apollo being a bit...bothersome...is interesting to watch.

The revelations are dealt with simply. We sort of find out what happened to Earth. We definitely see who the Final Cylon is. We deal with the mystery of Starbuck's Shiny Viper. Are you watching, LOST? Look! This lot answer questions! It even tells us what's going to happen now that they've been to Earth, giving the writers plenty of time to sort out some other loose ends. Of course, a couple more questions are asked and there is still a big mystery or two to unravel but this is very much the opening to the last run that I had hoped it would be.

Although, it's only fair to say that having watched this episode and been rivetted by it, I then had to watch some Doctor Who to remind myself that life is, in fact, worth living.

4 comments:

Frank Collins January 19, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

Oh, it's grim.

But I thought that ending was dreadful. Why spend four years building up to the revelation of the final Cylon and then tell us it's somebody who died many episodes ago. I don't buy it. Why cut the legs out from under the drama?

I thought the rest was pretty solid though. And miserable. Naturally.

David Webb January 19, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

I think the ending suggests that there is more to come; there are certainly revelations about how and why the final five were reborn and what this means to the rest of the Cylons and the rest of the characters.

I have a feeling that we have not seen the last of Ellen Tigh.

I also have the distinct saggy feeling that Starbuck's situation may be a bit wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.

Dee's exit was great. As was the Adama/Tigh scene. I just wish Bill would stop getting drunk, although his speech to the fleet makes things rather better.

Faceofboe January 20, 2009 at 3:59 AM  

Lost will have answers. Apparently episode 3 (just 8 days away now) contains several. Also Lost isn't in its final series unlike BSG. And - crucially - Lost is funny. And has shirtless. :D That having said I'd like to watch BSG, it's just that I have no time.

David Webb January 20, 2009 at 4:53 AM  

BSG also has shirtlessness. I think you might enjoy Shirtless Jamie Bamber.

You have a point about Lost's sense of humour. BSG will be there on DVD when you feel like getting around to it, just make sure you watch it in small doses and stop as soon as you begin to feel life has no purpose ;)

Just so you know...

I don't know what this bit is for. Perhaps I should give it a purpose?

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP