The return of insomnia

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I can't sleep.

I'm getting by on a couple of hours a night, which isn't enough, and everything has started to get difficult, and emotionally dark, and unhappy.

I need to sleep.

Instead, I'm hanging on to being awake as if I had my fingers at the very edge of a precipice and was dangling over great depth. Not that I want to. I just can't slow my head down. And the worst of it is, athough I can get it together to write a blog post or a mail, I can't string words together to write a story because I can't settle on anything other than first person present tense.

This is the third time in as many months. What's going on in my head that won't let me sleep?

5 comments:

Lucy McGough January 7, 2009 at 1:46 AM  

Dave, I'm worried about you. Don't take this the wrong way, but hadn't you better see a doctor?

Anonymous January 7, 2009 at 6:11 AM  

Hey Dave! I'm sorry that you're having a hard time sleeping. I can't think of anything so wretched as not being able to sleep. I hope your brain calms down and gives you a break! I will remember you in my prayers. Keep on keeping on:-)

Frank Collins January 7, 2009 at 8:28 AM  

I'm worried about you too, old fella. Maybe Lucy is right. Perhaps a visit to the Doctor is on the cards.

My partner had terrible insomnia after the death of his parents and eventually had to go to the Doctor for something to help him relax and go to sleep. He still doesn't get much sleep but he gets much more than he did!

mand January 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

Been there...

If it's the kind of insomnia where you keep thinking, my best advice is to enjoy it. I don't mean those thoughts. See it as extra living time, get up n do something.

If it's the other kind, or if that doesn't work, the only thing i've ever found helped was daytime discipline. Get through one of those tasks you're afraid of and/or keep putting off. Schedule your hours and enforce it. Include reward time.

And if those don't work, amitryptilene may. I ended up on that after months of insomia, and it did break the cycle.

Faceofboe January 9, 2009 at 7:32 AM  

Dave - Please go and see a Doctor. Insomnia can be a sign of depression and it can also lead to other medical issues. Your GP can give you medication that will let you sleep without zonked out your brain - they can do that these days. Give it a go, yeah?

Just so you know...

I don't know what this bit is for. Perhaps I should give it a purpose?

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP