Won't get fooled again (waaaaaaaaoooooooo!)

Friday, January 30, 2009

There has been a reorganisation at work, and us dumb grunts are blinking in the light of day and staring up at the faces of our latest batch over overlords.

Bossa nova similis bossa seneca, as The Who would have said if they sang in nearly-latin.

Except this time there was a tiny ray of light.

One of the bosses said "This new software we're rolling out, that we've said will solve everything? Well, it won't. Not everything."

Which is, in terms of comedy, the bit where Rowan Atkinson (in his guise as Edmund Blackadder) stops, looks worried and says "Ah." In that way that he does when the cunning plan starts to fall apart.

This might not seem like much to anyone else, but it's a big step for the managment. Here's why:

We shall call the software the Worldwidfe Stuff Deliverer, which is nothing like the real TLA but will suffice for now. WSD has been hailed as the solution to all our problems, problems which stem from an uneven IT strategy which can best be described as "Ooo! Shiny! We can make this work with everything else, right?" Eventually, someone got the senior leadership their ritalin and things calmed down, and they made the terribly brave move to scrap their previous plans for universal domination via 57 competing apps and settle on one - WSD.

WSD was marketed to us, the peons who will have to use it, as a Magickal Unicorn that will fart rainbows over our desks. We were wary; we have been promised unicorns before and they have turned out to be either intractable camels or irritated wolverines. Those who pointed out the lack of Unicorns were taken away and crushed to death between the pages of a very large book. Those of you wanting to know where all the props went from the 60s Batman TV series now know.

For the current batch of managers and leaders to admit, however tacitly, that WSD is not a Magic Unicorn and that whatever it might turn out to be it is unlikely to fart rainbows is a vast step forward. We now understand that all is not entirely Bowie Album in the world of Manager. This makes me feel vastly better about my sorry existence, and now I have reason to smirk.

The even better reason to smirk was the expressions on the faces of the line managers, who were all dressed up. Watching the "I'm a happy associate manager, please don't eliminate my grade" smiles crack as the senior leaders sent the "Houston, we don't have a Magic Unicorn" message was an absolute delight. The thing is, they have so much more to lose than me, right now (because if I am made redundant I will cobble together money and disappear back to the UK poste-haste), and I new there wasn't going to be desks littered with rainbow farts from the inception of the project. I've done these things, they're never simple. But they haven't, and they didn't know, and now they're worried.

And though it blacken my soul forever, I'm glad about that.

5 comments:

Lucy McGough January 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM  

This post made me snigger :-D

Lucy McGough January 31, 2009 at 12:55 AM  

By the way, please may I send my dad a copy of this post?

David Webb January 31, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

Absolutely.

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 8:33 AM  

'And though it blacken my soul forever, I'm glad about that.'

And you have every right to be, by the sound of it.

Besides, as Armando Iannucci observed, there are only two things in life that bring us total, complete, happiness. One is unwrapping a newly-bought CD, the other is seeing other people fail...

Lucy McGough February 4, 2009 at 5:23 AM  

My dad's response to this post:

"Lucy me love: I just saw a Magic Unicorn, but it was flying away across the car park. How do you clean technicolour farts off windscreens?"

Then he said some stuff about the nature of mortal sin, and ended with:

"Am off to buy Pixie Stardust for my windscreen. Love Dad."

Just so you know...

I don't know what this bit is for. Perhaps I should give it a purpose?

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP