I never know how to deal with things like this, hence the rambly title

Friday, March 13, 2009

Last night, my old house was on the news.

Tangentally.

Across the road from us lived an older couple; he was retired and not in the best of health, but he - let's call him Fred - had an interest in reading and was generally a very genial man. My soon-to-be- Ex and I had dinner with them, chatted often. Fred's wife is a nurse, so we never saw much of her.

Last night, their house burned down. Fred was inside it at the time.

The house is just gone and the local news said that the Fire Department were suspicious about the cause of the blaze, the severity of it.

Fred, and I've changed his name because no one who reads this could possibly know him and I don't want the family to find this on Google somewhere, was a nice guy. He read a lot, he chatted endlessly but well, he had a lot to share. He was a good neighbor. I have missed him, in small ways, since I moved out.

My thoughts are, of course, with his wife; she has lost more than I can comprehend and I wish there was something I could do, something meaningful, that would help. Blogging seems so empty and futile, but, I think it needs saying: he was a good man, a good neighbor and I shall miss him.

1 comments:

mand March 14, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

Does anyone know how to? Sympathies anyway. Do i know you well enough for {hugz}?

A similar thing happened to me recently (recent blogpost). I've had a spate of hearing of not-very-close people's deaths. Something in the ether this last month.

You have honoured him.

I like your glædmód post, btw.

Just so you know...

I don't know what this bit is for. Perhaps I should give it a purpose?

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP