Kindles, Text to Speech and Audiobooks, oh my!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cory Doctorow wrote this in the Guardian (and turned it into a Tweet, which is how I found it), which made me think about four things at the same time -

1: That settles the Kindle issue. I'm not buying one. If I own technology, it does as I say and does not run home to mama whenever mama decides it should.

2: I'm not actually surprised that Amazon have revealed they can do this. At some point in the development of the Kindle, after the boffins and geeks had worked out what it could do they let lawyers loose on it. The lawyers saw what the Kindle could do and then proceeded to work out what it could do that they could end up in litigation over. Once they knew that, they very sensibly advised the boffins to install an "off" switch.

3: Now that we know the Kindle can have a feature disabled (by code in the e-book, I assume) it's a matter of time before someone hacks it*(. Were e-book readers interesting before?

4: Audiobooks are a separate product, at least in my mind. So someone, somewhere, is potentially misjudging the audience. If, or generally when, I buy an audiobook it's because I want to hear the book being read by a specific voice. After an appalling experience with an audio version of "Ender's Game" I was reconverted by the performance - best way to describe it - of "Coraline" by Neil Gaiman. How cool, to have the author read his own work?

I would pay really quite a lot of money to hear an interesting voice read an interesting book, but I will pay no money to have a machine read to me. I want the performance, not just the sound.

Now, admittedly, there is something to be addressed about some people being unable to read a print edition, for whatever reason, and therefore buying an audiobook as a replacement for a print copy or e-edition; the kindle would cut down on that market. Audiobooks tend to be more expensive because of production costs, one assumes.



*wait...let me leap to a conclusion. If the Kindle runs code that interacts with hardware, and that code is based in the e-book, how long before the e-book reader becomes a target for malware of some kind? What sort of malware would a Kindle attract? Adware, one assumes, or if the Kindle connects with a PC it might be an vector for getting code past the normal defenses.

And if i've thought of it, I'm sure someone else will.

4 comments:

Lucy McGough April 1, 2009 at 1:01 AM  

At least no-one can hack into my paper copy of 'The Complete Poems and Plays of T.S. Eliot' and pepper 'The Waste Land' with advertisements for gardening tools.

mand April 1, 2009 at 4:08 AM  

I agree audiobooks are a separate thing. I have read advice to new authors to be careful that the terms of their contract are as specific as possible about all electronic/digital rights (separating printed text from ebook text and from audio or film etc versions of a book, if the author, or her/his agent, wins the arguments).

Btw the audiobook of The Time-Traveller's Wife is wonderfully acted, and therefore wonderful.

David Webb April 1, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

I am a big fan of the Unabridged Discworld books read by Stephen Briggs. He's also the chap who turned a couple of Discworld books into plays, and has worked with Terry Pratchett on a number of things.

He's very good. As is the audio version of Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, read by Lenny Henry.

mand April 1, 2009 at 9:09 AM  

I don't do a lot of audiobooks for various reasons mainly involving loud interruption, but when i was ill a friend had the brilliant idea of audiobooks instead of flowers.

Just so you know...

I don't know what this bit is for. Perhaps I should give it a purpose?

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP